10. Robin Hood
"Why is this so far down on your list, Andrew!?" Because. "Because what!?" Russell Crowe. Don't get me wrong, I like Russell Crowe, but I just don't see him as Robin Hood. At all. I see him as Maximus, especially when it's a movie that takes place in the distant past like this one. I just have my doubts. I don't have my doubts in Ridley Scott though. I know he can make a good movie. But can he make a great movie? Hmm. I will definitely see this one for curiosities sake alone, but I'm only slightly anticipating it.
Potential Based on Trailer: 6.5/10
9. The Expendables
Stallone, Statham, Li, Schwarzenegger, Willis, Rourke... the cast for this movie is crazy. So crazy that it just might work. Stallone both wrote and directed this movie, which could be a little worrisome except that I actually enjoyed Rock Balboa, which he also wrote and directed himself. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Also, it just looks like a fun movie. I hope it is.
Potential Based on Trailer: 7/10
8. The Last Airbender
If the current trend for Shyamalan movies says anything, The Last Airbender should be M. Night Shyamalan's worst movie yet. Each movie he has made has been progressively worse than the one before it, culminating in the atrocious The Happening. I hope the trend does not continue. Why? The show the movie is based on, Avatar (no film relation), is really really good. And I know Shyamalan can make really good movies; he has it in him to do it! I just hope he pulls this one off.
Potential Based on Trailer: 8/10
7. Buried
This is the only arthouse movie in this list. It appeared at Sundance the other month and got a lot of glowing reviews. The whole movie takes place inside a coffin with Ryan Reynolds. How interesting could that possibly be? Supposedly it is interesting. I still doubt how it can be done, but that's all the more reason I'm excited to be blown away at them actually succeeding.
Potential Based on Trailer: ??/10 (doesn't show enough)
6. Tron: Legacy
Admittedly, I've never watched the original Tron all the way through. I should probably do that. But I did play the first person video game, Tron 2.0, a few years ago, and loved it! The whole world of Tron is quite intriguing, and the trailer makes me think that Disney is actually keeping true to the world and the story and taking things seriously. What I'm looking forward to most in Tron: Legacy though are the special effects and the 3D. In fact, this is the only movie on my top 10 list where I'm anxious to see the 3D. It uses the same system James Cameron used in Avatar, and I'm very curious to see what someone else does with it.
Potential Based on Trailer: 8/10
5. Iron Man 2
I'm iffy on this one. I'm not sure whether to keep it here on the list or throw it all the way down to #10. I loved the first Iron Man, and the preview for the sequel just turns me off for some reason. However, in the first Iron Man, Tony Stark was the overly cocky guy at the beginning of the movie, toned it down for the rest of the movie when he was being secretive, and then brought it back out in the last line of the movie. Thus, I guess Tony should act the way he does for the sequel because that's who he is. I really hope this one is good more than I actually think it will be though.
Potential Based on Trailer: 6/10
4. Kick Ass
This is another big nerd movie that I find very appealing. It's an underdog story, it's violent, it looks hilarious, and it's a very skewed take on an overdone genre. Also, based on what people said coming out of Comic-Con last year, it's already being haled as a fantastically fun movie.
Potential Based on Trailer: 8/10
3. Toy Story 3
There really isn't much to say about this one. It's Toy Story 3. It's the closing off of a story that first affected me 15 years ago when I was only 9 years old. To top that off, everyone knows Pixar can do no wrong. No wrong at all. Ever.
Potential Based on Trailer: 9/10
2. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Edgar Wright directs this crazy looking film. He only has two big movies under his belt: Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I really like his style and humor, and Scott Pilgrim appears to be transferring a lot of that over. Outside of Edgar Wright, from what little I know about Scott Pilgrim, it appears to be a movie made for 15-30 year old males/females with nerd sensibilities. People outside of the range will probably think it looks stupid. I'm in that range though, thus the story greatly attracts me and the ridiculous nerdy obscure action is the icing on the cake.
Potential Based on Trailer: 10/10
1. Inception
Two words: Christopher Nolan. Four movies: Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight. He's easily one of my top 3 favorite directors alive right now. Every single one of his movies is perfectly made, extremely intelligent, and all have very dark themes. Inception looks to be no different. No one knows the story except that it involves crime and takes place in the human psyche. The trailer hardly tells us anything else. And Nolan wants to keep it that way. I cannot wait to go see this movie, more than any other movie coming out this year.
Potential Based on Trailer: 8/10
No comments:
Post a Comment