Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dark Knight Rises? Bane Rises!

Just got back from my screening of the prologue for The Dark Knight Rises! The film actually doesn't come out until next summer sometime, but they had a few sneak previews across the country at various IMAX theaters, and I was lucky enough to go. Fun fun!!

At the bottom of this post you'll find a plot description of everything that happened during the first 8 minutes of the movie. I don't think it's that spoilery at all, barely anything happens, but it is a fun sequence to set the movie up with. If you want to go in the movie blind, then ignore the last paragraph of this post. Otherwise, continue on to read what I thought about it!


It was good. No... it was great. It's exactly what I expected from Christopher Nolan. I still think I prefer the opening sequence to The Dark Knight (the Joker's bank heist), but this prologue was completely thrilling experience. There were some technical issues though. Watching it on IMAX was a little overwhelming. The movie literally took up the entire domed screen, so it was very disorienting at times. Additionally, Bane's voice (the primary antagonist) was extremely hard to understand, thus I felt like I missed out on a lot of the plot. I don't think it was a sound issue with the theater - I think it was Bane's accent combined with the fact that he's always speaking through a really awkward mask. Which, side note, Bane's medical issue is pretty ridiculous and interesting. This isn't revealed in what I saw today at all, but apparently the reason he has the mask is that he suffered some sort of a problem way back when, but the problem left him with enormous pain, so much pain that he would literally die because of the pain. Thus, the mask provides with him a constant stream of pain killers, allowing him to live. It's a weird deal.

Bottom line is that all this screening made me want to do is watch the whole movie, and go back and watch the first two again. It got me excited. It made me remember why I love movies. The full domed IMAX experience was awkward enough that I probably wouldn't do that again, but it was a great experience overall. Christopher Nolan hasn't lost his touch. I'm just curious to see where the movie goes from here. So much is still completely unknown about the movie, which is weird to say considering I just saw 8 minutes of it. Heck, we didn't even get to see Batman! The whole preview was entirely about Bane. I'll end with this though: The only thing the prologue needed was a bit of clarity, as I really didn't understand the "why" of most of it. And more batman.

Okay, below is a description of the whole prologue, or at least what I remembered from it! If you saw it and remember more, or know things I got wrong, or understand stuff better, please comment and let me know.

Also, I got a shirt, which is cool.


Plot of the Prologue

The movie begins with Commissioner Gordan speaking at what appears to be the funeral of Harvey Dent. He says some nice words, of which I've completely forgotten, then the scene ends and we fade to what appears to be a country in central Asia, though I could be completely wrong. The largest portion of the prologue starts here. A US commander of sorts is standing next to an airplane when a vehicle pulls up carrying three captured individuals, all with hoods over their heads. Apparently they have a connection to Bane (the primary antagonist of the movie), so the military guy takes them all into a plane then threatens to throw each one of them out until one of them spills the beans on Bane. After one of the hostages is shot, another begins to speak, but with a very odd, quite hard to understand, almost electronic voice with a thick eastern European accent. His mask is removed, and it turns out, he's Bane! Surprise! Saw that coming. Anyways, Bane stalls for a bit talking to the military guy while a C-130 cargo plane appears above the military plane. No one in the military plane seems to realize another plane has appeared above them. The military guy asks Bane if his whole plan was to get captured, which of course Bane replies affirmatively to, and then says that no one on board the plane will survive. Guys repel down from the C-130, break in to the military plane, and chaos ensues. The military plane has somehow now been attached to Bane's secret little C-130, but only by the tail. The C-130 goes faster, thus causing the military plane to fall perpendicular to the C-130. The forcing being applied to the plane are so great at this point that it begins ripping to pieces, all while chaos is still happening on the plane. Did I mention it doesn't look like he used any CGI at all? It appears they literally attached the plane to the C-130 and it literally ripped apart. Could be wrong, but I do know that Nolan very very sparingly uses CGI in anything. Anyways, to continue... At some point, Bane's henchmen start drawing blood out of one of the guys through a tube, and it appears to be very important. My guess is they took the plane just so they could get at these guys so they could get the blood, but really it's all unclear at this point. I can't understand much of what anyone is saying. It's just chaotic and blood is being drawn and a lot of people are dying and a plane is being destroyed. A few of Bane's men are on the outside of the plane now trying to blow the back of the military plane off so as to create a vertical opening heading back up to the C-130. The whole sequence ends with Bane grabbing on to one guy (one of his fellow henchmen, his sidekick? Or is it someone from the military plane that he's trying to capture? not sure), and they raise out of the rear of the plane heading back up towards the C-130. The military plane is then unhooked from the C-130, and it drops below. The purpose of the whole event??? Still not sure at all. The screen fades to black, and a bunch of extremely short clips from later parts of the movie play in an effort to get me excited to see more... which I'm already excited to see more but whatever! The end. Everyone leaves.

Wow, that was one massive paragraph. Sorry, English teachers across the world.

No comments: