Friday, January 29, 2010

Reviews - Big Fan/Imaginarium/Smoking

Big Fan stars Patton Oswalt as an obsessed fan of the New York Giants. The movie follows his fanatacism with the team and the star quarterback, and his dealings with an Eagles fan that borderline torments him. It's a very unique movie with a story that keeps you going through the whole thing, and even has a few surprises. Big Fan is written by the same guy that wrote The Wrestler, so that should give you some idea of what kind of a movie it is. Also, it's definitely a straight up indie drama, so don't expect anything mainstream here... not that you would expect that from me anyways. For what it is, it's a good movie, and the only reason I didn't rate it any higher is because I personally wasn't as grabbed by it as I have been other movies. The topic was an interesting view into the world of a crazy football fan, which I definitely can't relate to, but is intriguing nonetheless.

Potential based on Preview: 8/10
Actual Movie: 7.5/10

This movie is crazy. Absolutely nuts. Also, it is Heath Ledger's last movie, which if you're a big fan of his this should be reason enough to see it. He died during the filming of this one. After watching it, maybe you'll see why. It's a visual druggy trip. The story is decent, although it isn't anything too special and I really wasn't too wrapped into it. The acting is good, as is the set design and costume work. Most of the points I gave for this one is for the visuals alone... it's gorgeous, strange, artistic... imagine going into the imagination of the guy that made all of the Monty Python stuff, and this is what you would get. Because that's who made this movie - except for the fact that it's nothing like Monty Python.

Potential based on Preview: 9/10
Actual Movie: 6/10

Thank You for Smoking (2005) comes from Jason Reitman, the guy who brought us Juno and my almost-1st-place movie of last year, Up in the Air. It was his first major release, and since getting Netflix (hence all of these reviews), I decided it was time to check it out. I'm glad I did. It's a really good movie, highly comedic, and it makes a lot of good points about our society as well, from multiple sides of the issue.

The movie is about a lawyer for the tobacco industry whose purpose is to make the industry look good, guard them from unwanted lawsuits, and make cigarettes look acceptable in the public eye. He's a definite anti-hero who you want to dislike, but for some reason you just can't. One of the most interesting things I noticed in the movie is that I didn't see anyone smoking once. Not once. I'm sure this was highly intentional (and somewhat self referential - which you'll understand after watching it). The movie is definitely not pro-smoking; however I wouldn't call it an hour and a half long anti-smoking ad either. It just tells it like it is, in hilariously clever ways.

Potential based on Preview: 9/10
Actual Movie: 8.5/10

No comments: