Monday, March 19, 2012

Really Bad Marketing

You saw the trailer for John Carter. You saw the superbowl TV spot. You saw the commercials. You were not interested in this movie at all. Rightly so - it had one of the worst marketing campaigns I'd ever seen. It looked ridiculous. It looked incomprehensible. It looked like every sci-fi movie ever made, a rehash of everything we've seen before. Heck, the arena scene looks like it was pulled exactly from another terrible film: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. Who wants to go watch a movie that looks like all of this? No one. No one in the US anyways. Hence why a 250 Million Dollar movie only made 30 million during its opening weekend. The marketing was terrible.

Yet everyone should have wanted to see this movie. It had a significant amount of things going for it, all of which were ignored by the marketing campaign. Let's name a few...
- Directed by Andrew Stanton, the guy who made Finding Nemo and Wall-E
- Based on book series that defined all of science fiction as we know it today (Star Wars, Avatar, everything)
- Guy who wrote original book also created another popular character: Tarzan
- Written by a Pulitzer Prize and Hugo Award winner
- The story is actually about a Civil War soldier. It is grounded in the real world, with sci-fi thrown in after the first 20 minutes or so. The trailers make it look like all crazy sci-fi.

Let's give it another shot though shall we? Check out this Fan-made trailer below.




Okay, now THAT is a movie that I want to go see. Hollywood's marketing was awful, yet a fan can hit all the emotional points and other things that make a person want to go see this movie.

Hollywood: 0
Fans: 1

Note: I haven't seen John Carter yet. I've heard very mixed things on it. I want to see it sometime though.

No comments: