Saturday, June 16, 2012

Prometheus Review


Where did life originate? Is there a god? Can faith and science coexist? Should you wear a helmet? These are just some of the many questions we ask ourselves in life, and Prometheus is no different. Although, it really only adequately answers the helmet question (with a resounding "Yes! Quit taking your helmets off!"), while the rest of the questions are left with muddy, forgettable, mindlessly silly answers. Don't go into this movie expecting to have an interesting philosophical discussion with friends afterwards. You may leave the theater initially thinking that such a discussion would be fun, but you'll quickly realize that the only things worth talking about in the movie are the scenes themselves. And wow are they fantastic.

From the opening landscape flyovers of Earth, to the final shot of the movie, I could barely take my eyes off of the screen (except when I felt the need to cover my face with my hands entirely). As much as I would prefer to avoid words like "gorgeous," "stunning," or "mesmerizing,"  the visuals in this movie truly do inspire awe. I was transported to another world, a world I believed could exist, and a world I never want to visit. The entire movie is a visual masterpiece. It's a lesson to all other movie cinematography for how to do their job right. I could go back and watch the Prometheus landing sequence at the beginning of the movie a dozen times and not get bored. The same goes for just about every other sequence in the movie. It rips you out of your current life and makes you believe you are somewhere else entirely.

It's not just the looks that won me over. This movie is intense. It's dang intense. This isn't some super hero movie where you know everyone is going to make it out okay. You quickly realize that things are likely not going to end well for everyone, and the ride to the finish to see how people do make it out of their various dire situations makes for exhausting entertainment. There's a particular medical sequence that I won't spoil, but it was one of the most cringe-worthy, brilliantly paced, incredibly acted sequences that has ever been in a sci-fi movie.

This is Ridley Scott's third foray into Science Fiction, a genre he hasn't dipped his toes in since 1982 with Blade Runner, and before that the original Alien movie in 1979. Many people will describe or have mentioned that Prometheus is a "prequel" to the Alien franchise, but it doesn't quite fit into that category. Prometheus does not directly tie in to the first Alien movie, although it does set up events that lead you to realize that there are connections. What left me the most amused was how Ridley Scott appeared to intentionally give the finger to the Alien vs. Predator movies by setting up a timeline that without a doubt proves that they no way take place in the same universe. Alien vs. Predator is to the Alien Universe as Super Smash Brothers is to the Zelda Universe. Now you know.

I can't wait to see if Ridley Scott stays in the sci-fi genre for a little while. I would love him to, as we don't have enough big sci-fi movies. After seeing Prometheus, I can safely say that he still has the skill in him to do it. That being said, Prometheus isn't without its flaws. I failed to notice while watching the movie (because of how engrossed and entertained I was), but the story is messy and borderline nonsensical. The motivations that certain main characters have are ludicrous, and most of the movies' obstacles could have been avoided if the android, David (played unbelievably well by Michael Fassbender), hadn't done one terribly unnecessary thing to one of the other characters. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all of the obstacles in the movie and would not have enjoyed the movie were it not without conflict, but I would greatly prefer if Prometheus provided me with at least somewhat plausible reasons for why people do certain things. Again though, I barely payed any attention to these issues and stupid character choices while watching the movie because of how entertained I was.

I can't wait to see Prometheus again, probably on bluray when I get an extended version, and I'd recommend anyone who loves action, sci-fi, or thrillers to see it, despite its flaws. 

If you can, go see it in IMAX 3D. This is one of those few instances where I'm in favor of 3D, mostly because Ridley Scott actually filmed it and intended it to be in 3D. It's great looking, subtle enough, not distracting, and adds to the mood. Additionally, the size and sound of IMAX makes the already great visuals and mood that much more effective. If you have the opportunity to see it in IMAX, pay the extra $5 and do it.

Prometheus: 9/10

1 comment: