Wasn't expecting much from this movie, but I got slightly more than I expected. It's fun, though predictable. I suppose I just dislike the action side of Sherlock Holmes and I wish it had been more detective/mystery. They did a really good job with the action, and it was enjoyable, but that wasn't the side of the story I wanted to see.Also, though Robert Downey Jr. was amazing, I never once saw him as Sherlock Holmes. I just kept seeing him as Downey (how the HECK did he win the Golden Globe?). That kept my mind of out of the experience, and being engaged in a film is a really big thing for me. It's an okay flick though. I'd watch it again if someone was doing a house party or something with it on, but that's about it. Fun in the moment, but very forgettable over time.
Potential based on Preview: 6/10
Actual Movie: 6.5/10

This movie had one of my favorite previews of 2009, thus I was highly looking forward to it. Then the reviews came, and I decided to not even bother - until it came to the $1 theater. In retrospect, I should have seen it when it came out, because the $1 theater was awful and I could barely hear half the characters' lines. So the score could be one point higher if I actually understood stuff.
The movie is extremely well made and I absolutely loved the art style it took. It was a faithful adaptation to a book with no story to begin with. I loved how the movie treated being a child. It wasn't a romanticized view and it wasn't an overly dark view; it was real. I could at least relate to it anyways. It is pretty odd though and I have a feeling most general audiences would come out of it with a huge question mark on their faces. Also, it's not a kids' movie. It should never have been marketed like that. This is a movie about childhood for adults.
Potential based on Preview: 10/10
The movie is extremely well made and I absolutely loved the art style it took. It was a faithful adaptation to a book with no story to begin with. I loved how the movie treated being a child. It wasn't a romanticized view and it wasn't an overly dark view; it was real. I could at least relate to it anyways. It is pretty odd though and I have a feeling most general audiences would come out of it with a huge question mark on their faces. Also, it's not a kids' movie. It should never have been marketed like that. This is a movie about childhood for adults.
Potential based on Preview: 10/10
Actual Movie: 7/10
Thirst is the vampire love story movie that all Twilight fans should see. It will completely destroy their lives and they will yell at me if they actually do end up seeing it, but whatever. It portrays the classical vampire in the most realistic way I have ever seen. What would it really be like? How would you eat? How would a relationship actually work with someone who isn't a vampire? What kind of crazy stuff would you actually have to bring yourself down to do? The movie addresses all of these questions in an extremely disturbing manner. This movie is not for the easily faint. Example: There's one scene where the vampire (who doesn't want to kill humans) literally unplugs the end of an IV attached to the machine from a guy in a coma, and proceeds to suck the blood out of the guy. Disturbing.
The story is good though. The images stay with you and there are some really artistic shots. However, I felt like the movie dragged on and I really wasn't in to it until over halfway through. It's a foreign film so I can't really comment on the acting, but it annoyed me how the subtitles consistently said "cuz" instead of "because" or "cause." Weird. Finally, I didn't see the preview before seeing the movie, so that section is blank.
Potential based on Preview: ?/10
Actual Movie: 7.5/10
Once is a indie musical set in Ireland. I use the term "musical" very very loosely. The movie is entirely based on a guy and girl's musical talents and how they work together and how music brings them together. Thus, 70% of the movie is them singing songs or playing guitar or recording tracks.
There's a lot to like about this movie. I loved the story, the acting was great, the script was very original, the actual music was my kind of thing (acoustic and piano stuff), and I genuinely felt for the characters. It's one of those kind of movies that doesn't take you down a road you've ever seen before on the big screen. It ask questions. It feels more like real life - the ending especially. And that's not to say it's a sad movie. Parts of it are kind of sad, but I wouldn't say it is a sad movie at all. It really just breaks all the formula rules and makes you think. Great movie.
Potential based on Preview: ?/10
Actual Movie: 9/10
The first thing I noticed in this movie that I loved was character interaction. The couple has such a unique way of interacting. Some would say it has clever dialogue, and they may not be wrong, but it's more clever interaction. It feels as if the couple in the movie really is in love and have their own way of expressing it that they have created over years and years of knowing each other. It's really entertaining and touching.
The story is pretty simple, but that isn't bad. This movie isn't about story. It's about characters, life, growing older, and whether you are making the right decisions or not. Is this really where we should be in life right now? Isn't there something more? Did we mess up somewhere? It's a couples' journey answering these questions by going across the country and visiting friends to find a new city to move to. It's hilarious, moving, cute, and very entertaining. It's definitely an R-rated film though, so yeah, if you're offended by that sort of stuff...
Potential based on Preview: 8/10
Actual Movie: 8.5/10



1 comment:
I enjoyed the reviews! Same feelings about Sherlock Holmes, however I'd give it a 5/10. I'm anticipating seeing Where the Wild Things Are and Thirst when I can. I hadn't heard of Away We Go yet, and sounds like something I'd enjoy. :)
Post a Comment